9/16/2005

Church Girls

We are the church girls
and this is our world.
We sit
we listen
we pretend
we care.
But none of us really knows
why we are there.
Until one day
we wake up and say
"We are the church girls
so what does that mean?
We are the church girls,
I'm so sick of this scene."
We walk out
fully aware
of the presence
we left there.
And for a while it's cool
for awhile it's good.
The church girls no longer
even though we should.
But then things start changing
then things start getting hard.
We scream up at God
and wonder why we fell so far.
"I used to be a church girl
I used to have it figured out.
Now I'm just a lost girl.
That's all I know without a doubt."
And pretty soon we forget
what church girl used to mean.
We're at the end of our rope
Don't remember how to dream.
Until one day
we wake up and say,
"I'm still God's girl.
I haven't forgotten that.
And even though I'm screwed up
I'm getting myself back."
And we walk back in,
Church girls no longer.
Instead we're God's girls
But we know what it means to wander.
So this is to all those church girls
who never wondered why.
And when the going got tough
all they could do was cry.
You are more than a church girl.
More than a pretty face.
You are God's girl
and no one can take your place.

No comments:

Someday...

I'll find the right words to say to you.